WinXP: "make" from a Bash shell works fine, but gets "couldn't reserve space" from DOS shell

I have a user here who is trying to set up Cygwin on WinXP.  Is that
expected to work?

He was able to install all the pieces of the development environment (Cygwin
included).  When he does a "make" of our product in a Bash shell, it works
fine, just as it does on Win2k and WinNT.  When he runs "make" from a DOS
shell (or tcsh), he gets the following error:

f:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap
(0x2430000)
 in child, cygheap, Win32 error 487

One of the first things that happens in our Makefiles is that it runs a
little shell script that pulls some information from the environment.  It
appears that this "bash" shell (from the error message) is being created
because of the attempt to run that shell script.  The next line that we see
in the output is a warning from "make" saying that it wasn't able to find a
particular file, and the message makes it apparent that the shell script
returned an empty string (or nothing), which shouldn't happen.

This problem does not occur on Win2k or WinNT, either in a DOS shell, Bash
shell, or Tcsh shell.