Re: spam

Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> Can't you people do something about all the spam we get here,
> it's rather annoying.

Sure.  (Note that your message represents the third or fouth
"spam-response" in the last week or so.  Hence I am finally goaded into
responding in turn...I'll wait while you don your asbestos suit).

Step #1) don't respond to spam messages on list.  Everybody saw the
spam.  Everybody is annoyed by the spam.  Please don't ADD to the @#$@!
spam by responding to it.

Step #2) File a lawsuit against MAPS.  Their evil, dishonest tactics
(such as pirate DNS-pollution) have succeeded in basically driving ORBS
off the net.  (Having eliminated the competition, they then began
charging for their service.  Previously, both MAPS and ORBS were free.
Does this sound like any particular company you know <cough> Microsoft
<cough>)

In the past, cygwin used ORBS.  But now we can't.  Thus the increase in
spam.  However, I haven't noticed multiple spams from the same address
(unless the multiples come VERY close together) -- so I assume that
someone -- probably cgf -- is manually blocking each spammer.  Perhaps not.

But in any case, rest assured that the list maintainers are even MORE
annoyed by the spam than you are, and are doing everything they can to
stop it.  But PLEASE don't add to the problem by replying, on-list, to
every spam that comes through the filter.

--Chuck