RE: Win98 and multiple users

It sounds like what you want to do is just have different user
'sessions' run by Cygwin. Cygwin uses your /etc/profile file, among
others, to determine who is logged on. You could modify the batch file
that launches the shell to be something along the lines of:

if %1x==x then goto end
if %1==foo then goto foo
if %1==bar then goto bar
goto end
:foo
cd \cygwin\bin
del /y ..\etc\profile.
ren ..\etc\profile.foo profile.
bash --login -i
goto end
:bar
cd \cygwin\bin
del /y ..\etc\profile.
ren ..\etc\profile.bar profile.
bash --login -i
:end

It's been a while since I've changed my preferences, and I'm sure that
there's at least one thing that I'm missing in addition to the profile,
but hopefully the above at least gives you a place to start from.
Assuming that your foo profile had your username set to foo and your
HOME set to /home/foo, and your bar had your HOME set to /home/bar, you
would have your individual profiles to work with within those
directories. (i.e. /home/foo/.bashrc)

-Alex
"insert fancy corporate title here"
"insert witty catch phrase here"