problems with rsync --daemon (was: RE: rsync)

Andreas Stenger schrieb am 2001-07-10, 5:28:

> $ rsync rsync://localhost
> read error: Connection reset by peer

$ rsync --daemon

Siebenschlaefer@LORELEY /usr/local/bin
$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      453       1     453        453    ?   18   Jul  5 /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon
      340       1     340        340    0  500 23:59:19 /usr/bin/bash
      533       1     533        533    ?  500 00:12:34 /usr/local/bin/rsync
      385     340     385        565    0  500 00:12:38 /usr/bin/ps

1st try:
$ rsync -vazl loreley::bleadperl .

Hi there at Gerrit's rsync server.

Modules are bleadperl, slackware, PLAMP.

read error: Connection reset by peer

2nd try:
$ rsync -vazl rsync://loreley/bleadperl .

Hi there at Gerrit's rsync server.

Modules are bleadperl, slackware, PLAMP.

read error: Connection reset by peer

> All rsync executables described above _do_ work as a client over WAN
> connecting to a physically separate rsync server based on Win NT.
>
> What my system thinks it is:
>
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.0 ANDYS 1.3.2(0.39/3/2) 2001-05-20 23:28 i686 unknown

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-4.0 LORELEY 1.3.2(0.39/3/2) 2001-05-20 23:28 i686 unknown

I got the same behaviour, it is some days ago that i loaded down
bleadperl sources from my server to my linux-box but it worked, so it
is not the problem with rsync.

> I got the installer from www.cygwin.com and used the first mirror
> available to download the packages (ftp://planetmirror.com). My "local
> package directory" is a win shared directory and the "install root
> directory" is the default (c:\cygwin). I don't think that this is a
> problem.
>
> I guess it's either:
> a) the newest cygwin dll

I think so, too.

> b) some other locally installed file that messes up

no

> c) my Win2k installation

no

> d) some access restrictions imposed by win2k on using port numbers lower
> than 1024? I am logged in as a user that belongs to the Administrators
> (win) group, so this should be no problem. d) strange hardware (I am
> running on a IBM Thinkpad 600X) - but I very much doubt this one.

no

> I guess I'll try on another Win2k box and see whether it has the same
> problem.

no need

> Btw. the link you send me has some pointers to ftp.uni-erlangen.de for
> grabbing the software. Clicking these links crashes my explorer. Went in
> with an ftp client and discovered that there seems to be an online mount
> from ftp.uni-erlangen.de to ftp.franken.de which seems to be broken, so
> I got it from ftp.franken.de directly.

I don't know abut this issue, thanks for the info, i thought that
everything is physically at uni-erlangen, i checked all the links after
changing the website to count the hits on every link and it works (that
was on NT 5 Sp2 (english) with IE6.
Did you send a bug report to Mike? (You will find his address at the
cygwin website at the frontpage section 'news' -> franken-archives
moved)

> Thanks for your help anyways.

Thank you for investigating, it seems that there is s.th wrong with
cygwin... maybe it would help to get the latest snapshot, Corinna had
checked in a lot of stuff according switching user context wich is/was
a big problem and isn't solved completely in the latest release.

> Cheers!
>
> Andy
>
> P.S.: I don't know whether you'd rather mail in German. If you do, no
> problem. I'm a native German speaker. But if others run into the same
> problem having stuff to forward in English is probably better ...

Ach so...then i will send this to cygwin list, too and we talk german
in PM.

Last try:
$ chmod -R 777 /ftproot/pub/mirror/bleadperl

?

--
=^..^=