Permanently mangled my Cygwin install

I just tried to delete Cygwin from my system and start over, and had some
problems.  Please help me get untangled if you can.

1.  I had trouble deleting files part way through, and found out it was
because ipc-daemon was running as a service.  I had not even got around to
trying that.  How did it do it by itself?
2.  So, being tired, I stopped ipc-daemon in the service manager and kept
deleting files.  Oops, I'm going to want to clean that up later so I can
try again to install it as a service.
3.  Some files still won't delete.  Even logged on as a member of
Administrators, there was a folder under /tmp that I couldn't even open.
4.  Also, being tired, I decide to see if I can remove all trace of the
ipc-deamon service using the registry editor.  Now, it's really confused.
 I tried to clean up the results of that by downloading and using the
svc.exe utility.  It sees that the service exists, but bombs trying to
remove it (I guess because of my regedit debacle).
5.  After reinstalling Cygwin, then trying to untar the cygipc package, it
creates all the directories, but gives permission denied errors on every
file.  I find that I can't manually create files in these folders either.