Re: backslash difference in NTEmacs/CygWin in compile buffer

# In NTEmacs with CygWin bash, if I do M-x compile RET and give a command of
# "echo \x \\x \\\x", I get a result of "x x \x".
#
# In Emacs on Linux bash, if I do M-x compile RET and give a command of
# "echo \x \\x \\\x", I get a result of "x \x \x", as expcted.
[...]
# Any ideas where to look?

This *may* have to do with the way NTEmacs invokes whatever
shell you use (using, I _think_, cmdproxy.exe or somesuch),
although the Emacs internals are really beyond me.  But
that is one possible place to look.  Can you reproduce
the behavior with another shell (say, command.com or
cmd.exe) in an Emacs shell buffer?  Or is it bash specific?
(I realise the quoting would have to be different to
work with another shell, but what I'm getting at here is
whether Emacs is eating the quoting before it gets to bash
or whatever.)

It might also be interesting to test with a non-Cygwin
Windows port of bash, to verify whether that makes any
difference.  I believe there is a DJGPP port of bash
that should be able to run in Windows.

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)