RE: Can I expect electric fence to work?

yes I have compiled with cygwin against the efence libs for
memory detection/allocation array bounds, free, etc, problems

it eats tons of memory and produces humungous code
 and goes incredibly slow but you may be able to detect
 a place where allocated memory goes nuts.

 but, it only really works well for memory  explicitly,
  allocated with malloc, so,
 stack corruption, and problems local variables, are not
 easily detected.

 hope you have some molasses ready,
 gdb doesnt especially love efence linked
 exe but it can be done