From: Jonadab the Unsightly One [mailto:jonadab@bright.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 11:11 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: CYGWIN1.DLL

# I agree 100% with most of what was written here.  In fact, I think it
# think it might even be nice to add it to the documentation.
#
# However, I do not agree that static linking is generally a
# universally good idea for any platform.

I was talking about Microsoft platforms specifically, because
Microsoft's dynamic linking mechanism is problematic.  Any
platform of course may implement something (e.g., dynamic
libraries) well or poorly.

I also understand (or think I understand) why Cygwin uses
dynamic linking, and it doesn't bother me tremendously,
but it does have some implications -- which are really
Microsoft's fault, but impact Cygwin nonetheless.  Some
of these implications come home to roost when we start
talking about different people distributing different
packages that are built against different versions of
Cygwin.  There is potential there for problems.

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)