Re: CYGWIN1.DLL

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:08:50PM +0400, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

>> If I install a cygwin1.dll with my program, where should I install it?
>> obviously in some directory that is in the *standard* path for windows
>> programs, so probably in \WINNT\system32 (as /cygwin/bin is usually NOT in
>> the path for standard windows program).
>>
>> So if I install my program AFTER cygwin, I got two cygwin1.dll and if I
>> install cygwin after my program I got only one, but my program probably no
>> longer run...
>>

>That is what I meant. Intelligent setup that would check for cygwin1.dll and
>would *not* try to install the second copy. Probably remembering location in
>registry for future runs.

Not installing cygwin1.dll could potentially mean that all of the packages that
you just installed won't work due to a reliance by the packages on newer features
in cygwin.  cygwin1.dll is supposed to be backwards api compatible but that
doesn't really apply here.

In any event, this still isn't strictly a dll issue, as you have previously
pointed out.  If the program was linked statically with an older version of
cygwin and stumbled across some registry or file system leavings from a newer
version, then there would be problems.

If you are going to be installing a program which relies on cygwin, then the
best plan would be to first check the registry for a sign of cygwin.  Then,
check the path to see if you can find a version of the DLL.  If you find it,
check the version against the version that you're using.  If it is newer, then
your application should work fine.  Otherwise, if the dll is older or if you
can't find cygwin1.dll in the path, then issue appropriate warnings.

Check cygcheck.cc for information on how to get extended version info
from cygwin1.dll.

cgf