Re: Can't start windows-progs like 'edit' over telnet

Hi!

Thursday, 05 July, 2001 Andreas Schlager aschlager@kaindl.com wrote:

>> AS> '"/etc/termcap", line 61, terminal 'pcansi-mono':
>> AS> enter_alt_charset_mode but no acs_chars'
>>
>> try setting TERM environment variable to 'cygwin'. i also recommend
>> you to install terminfo database with appropriate cygwin entry.
>> termcap has some limitations, and terminfo is a preferred format for
>> describing terminal capabilities.

AS> my TERM env var is f.e xterm or vt100, because I'm logging in via
AS> telnet.

it currently works only if you're logging in from cygwin telnet
client. I'm planning to add an ability to use ttyfier from rxvt or
xterm, thus making it possible to work with ttyfier from unix hosts,
but it'll take some time and will require patching rxvt/xterm.

As for now, you need cygwin both on server and on client.

AS> When I run the TTYfier from a bash directly on the WindowsNT machine,
AS> it works.  How to install terminfo db instead of termcap? Is there a ready-to-
AS> use package from cygwin?

yes. download and install ncurses package.

>> AS>  arises. Then I get the WindowsNT command-prompt, but it shows no
>> AS> reaction of typing in something.
>>
>> What version of cygwin1.dll do you use? TTYfier requires version 1.3.1
>> or later to operate properly.
AS> AFAIK I use the latest 1.3.2.

ttyfier relies on special "raw keyboard mode" introduced in cygwin
1.3.1. non-cygwin programs know nothing about terminals, escape
sequences etc. they expect win32-style input records. Those input
records are pretty "ibm-pc keyboard"-specific. When you press some
keys on unix terminal, your program won't receive full information
about your keystroke, because it's filtered by keyboard driver. some
keypresses won't be even delivered to you program. So, ttyfier must
put client's terminal in "raw" mode, where all keystrokes are encoded
in some way and passed to user program. then, it must decode them,
create appropriate win32-style input records and pass them to win32
application. Currently, such procedure is implemented only for cygwin
terminal, so you must log in from cygwin telnet client.