Re: Cygwin: Open or Closed System? (was: two problems with cygwin's zip)

Fred -

Because of the nature of cygwin, there are two types of users: those
that see cygwin as a way to "pretend you're using linux while in
windows", and those that want to use unix-oriented tools from the
windows environment.

The former run bash as their main shell.  The latter use
cmd.exe/command.com as their main shell.  Most of your open-source
hacker-types are in category 1; almost ALL of the cygwin maintainers and
developers fit into the category 1.

Therefore, you will see a definite preeminence of the concerns of the
"make it work just like linux" people -- because we're the ones doing
most of the work.  HOWEVER, the commercial interests are in favor of the
"use unix tools from windows" people -- because many of the GNUpro
customers are in category 2.  However, the GNUpro customers do NOT, as a
rule, contribute anything (other than $$) back to the cygwin net
release.  While we category 1 people *try* to be reasonable, the truth
is that if the concerns of category 2 people are to be acted upon or
gain influence, some category 2 people are going to have to step forward
as maintainers or contributors.  For instance, it would be nice if a
cabal of command.com users began to audit packages for
command.com-friendliness -- and developed patches.  This is similar to
Earnie's role in the past: he was (and is) an active contributor who
used text-mounts exclusively; you could always count on him to point out
text/binary mount problems with new executables.  (He doesn't do *that*
much anymore; I don't know if he considers all such bugs squashed or if
he just gave up...:-)

Anyway, *as long as the bash users are not harmed* I think glob() could
stand some work.  However, as has been mentioned, the win32-vs-cygwin
handling in glob() has been delicately tuned over many years; you will
have a substantial burden of proof (do no harm to unixiods, improve
win32-behavior) in order to get your changes accepted.  That's just the
way of things.  Good luck.

--Chuck

P.S. I'm not actually sure your concerns with zip will actually be
addressed by changes to cygwin's glob() function...