Re: Blunt Tools (was: cgf does not want private email about cygwin)

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 06:34:26PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I'll agree with Larry, though, that I find messages which have actual
>>information in them like "I searched the FAQ" to be refreshing.  It
>>cuts down on the "Check the FAQ" "I already checked the FAQ!!!" type of
>>interchanges.
>
>The FAQ should be complete enough that you can tell simply from reading
>the question wether they've read the FAQ or not.
>
>Exchanges like your hypothetical one only happen when the FAQ gives
>ambiguous or incomplete answers.

Ah yes, another "should be".  Sigh.

It doesn't matter how complete you make a FAQ.  There will always be
people who can't assimilate information unless they've engaged in a long
torturous dialog.  The FAQ can *never* have every single answer to every
single question.

Regardless, maybe you missed the point of my message.  I was just saying
that if someone asks a question without presenting all of the steps that
they had taken to diagnose a problem, the result is a back and forth
exchange that could have been avoided.

cgf