Re: two problems with cygwin's zip

Fred T. Hamster wrote:

>    1) if it really is not a goal to properly handle native filename
> paths within cygwin, then this severely limits its appeal for those
> already familiar with cygwin's single target platform (win32).  in my
> opinion, one cannot simultaneously disdain the win32 path conventions
> and yet also promote a product that is intended exclusively for win32
> without resorting to some form of schizophrenia.

I think it's unfair to blame "cygwin" for this "issue."  zip != cygwin.
 Cygwin *does* provide facilities to deal with ms-dos pathnames.  The
cygwin authors/maintainers are in no position to change the zip tool.
 Your points may be valid, in and of themselves, but to make the
necesaary change, you'd have to take it up with the maintainers of zip.

I happen to believe that the current goals of the project are rather
well considered.  I'm looking forward to the day when any Unix/Linux app
runs on Win32 with a simple compile or a simple installshield/rpm/deb
binary install.  At that point, the operating system becomes a commodity
(especially if the app runs on MacOS X as well).  Then, given the choice
between 2 commodities, the users will pick the cheapest one.  Free (in
the liberty sense) software will prevail (at least at the OS level) and
Win32 will simply no longer be needed, except to support legacy
Win32-only apps.  That will be a blessing to all people who depend on
software.  This is why I'd have a very hard time classifying cygwin as
"closed."

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/