Re: Install instructions for sshd /sshd1 /sshd

Clark Sims wrote:

> I purchased the book "SSH The Secure SHell, The Definitive Guide", because
> it devoted 2 chapters to ssh on NT. They recommend Sergy Okhapkins port of
> sshd, scp1 and sch1, because ""Most ports that we've seen are unfinished, no
> longer in development, or distributed without source code. .... Okhapkin's
> software works fine, but the installation is difficult"

I was going to comment on how old the book was -- but it was first
published in Jan 2001, and was reprinted in March 2001.  Sigh.  Their
information was out of date even when it was written.  I used to use
Sergey's port back in the B20 days -- but had to recompile it myself to
get it to work on cygwin-1.x. Also, it's ssh1 only; no ssh2
compatibility.

OpenSSH is under active development and it is actively supported on
cygwin. It is distributed with source code.  (BTW: what do the authors
want -- they complain about ports being "unfinished" or "no longer in
development".  I'm not sure there IS a third category that would satisfy
them...)

The authors were just plain *wrong* about ssh + cygwin/NT.  It happens.

> They then go on to give detailed instructions on how to install ssh1 and
> sshd. Unfortunately, the instructions for installing sshd are incorrect.

 Not our problem.  Go to
http://www.oreilly.com/cgi-bin/errata.form/sshtdg and let them know.
Also, it would be nice if you mentioned that OpenSSH supports both ssh2
and ssh1, and works well under cygwin.  And that Sergey's port is old
and not supported by the cygwin mailing list (nor by Sergey, AFAICT).

--Chuck