Re: Patch: Bug: Shell fork/exec avoidance in make-3.79.1-3

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 08:56:50PM +0200, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
>> I've included a patch below that changes all the char[] definitions
>> in job.c to char*.
>
>I don't think that is the problem; if I look at your patch below, the char[]
>definitions you change in char* are only used on AMIGA or VMS, but *NOT* on
>CYGWIN... ;-(

Sorry, no.  The original poster obviously did some research here.  There
is a definite problem between 'char *' and 'char []' in the
default_shell definition.

>If you look at my previous message (posted about in paralell with your),
>you'll see that just recompiling the code without any change allow me to get
>a working make. I suspect your change (that does nothing on CYGWIN) is just
>exercising the same behaviour. IMHO it's just the cygwin package that was
>compiled in a buggy environment.

I build make on linux, like all of my packages.  To the best of my knowledge,
I have never had a corrupted environment.  I build everything in a standard
way using standard scripts.  If I detect an error, I correct the script.

>IIRC it happens some time ago to Corinna to have a screwed-up environment
>that generated a working bash that shows a bug that disapear after she
>updates its environment. I suspect the make maintainer have (or had) the
>same problem...

I suspect that your suspicion is wrong.

cgf