Re: Cygwin root at C:\ [Fwd from xemacs-nt list]

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 11:57:28AM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>An exchange on the xemacs-nt mailing list: ben wing asked:
>
>  > you should at least clarify your recommendation by saying
>  > "we discourage setting your root to C:\ if you are or ever
>  > will be using another Unix toolkit, such as UWin or MKS"
>  > rather than just a blanket "no".
>
>See thread below for context; I just thought I'd pass this along.

Sounds like the normal outrage about the use of c:\ vs c:\cygwin.

I've never really understood why people get so bothered about this.

I think I've seen more rancor about the simple suggestion that cygwin
install its tools into its own directory, like every other windows
package in the world, than almost any other "cygwin problem".

Since it is so very easy to just not do things that way, I don't
understand why this debate continually resurges.  We don't require,
we just suggest.  If you don't like the suggestion, then don't
follow it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir...

cgf