Re: cgf does not want private email about cygwin

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:50:42AM -0600, C. Porter Bassett wrote:
>I am not condoning this, but I can understand at least one reason for not
>wanting to post to the list.  I myself have been tempted (although I have
>not done it) to email directly somebody instead of the list because of the
>rude responses that some people get when they ask a question.

For example?  I don't see much rudeness.  In fact, I see the opposite.
I actually think that the jump to answer every single question with
helpful suggestions has encouraged many posters here to use this list
as an alternative to actually thinking about problems.

The cygwin mailing list wouldn't have the traffic that it enjoys if all
people saw was rude responses.  Or, actually, it would but you'd see
much more evidence of flame wars here.

So, sorry, but this theory does not hold much weight with me.

However, if you know that someone prefers that messages be sent to the
mailing list and you STILL send personal email, then where does the
rudeness lie?

cgf