Re: tetex-beta-20001218 (can not use it after setup on Cygwin)

I am very sorry for the confusion:
  you are right, there is a misspelling.

Please find attached a revisited version of the README file.

Sorry again,
Jerome BENOIT

Alexei Lioubimov wrote:

> Hello Jerome,
> Thank you for your answer, but before i wrote you for the _first_ time i've
> studied the /usr/doc/cygwin/tetex-beta-20001218.README many times. I'm
> sorry, but it's still not clear for me what should i download:
>     tetex-texmf-1.0.x.tar.gz
>         or
>     tetex-texmfsrc-1.0.x.tar.gz,
> because /usr/doc/cygwin/tetex-beta-20001218.README says:
>
>     ... see below for canonical CTAN host list:
>     CTAN/systems/unix/teTeX/1.0/distrib/sources/teTeX-texmf-1.0.tar.gz    /*
> !!! - A.L. */
>     Quick Installation:
>     2] >tar zxf tetex-src-1.0.tar.gz                               /* ??
> !!! - A.L. */
I had to write:
tar zxf tetex-1.0.tar.gz

> But it seems to me, that tetex-src-1.0.tar.gz contains the stuff that is
> already prebuild and is in tetex-beta-20001218,
> am i right?
Yes you are right !

> So, what should i download and additionally install?
>
> Thank you (and excuse me once more...), i'm looking forward for your answer
> Alexei Lioubimov

IMPORTANT:

The source archive and the binary archive ONLY contains the
canonical executable binaries and the canonical scripts
needed to compose with TeX and its friends:
a (suitable teTeX) TeX Directory Structure (TDS) MUST be installed.

In this distribution the TDS is assumed to be installed at
  /usr/share/texmf

Canonical TDS are available from the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network
(CTAN) --see below for canonical CTAN host list:
  CTAN/systems/unix/teTeX/1.0/distrib/sources/teTeX-texmf-1.0.tar.gz
  /usr/doc/tetex-XXX/texk/etc/unixtex.ftp

Of course one can used an already installed TDS (e.g. MiKTeX):
1] one can link it to /usr/share/texmf
  cd /usr/share
  ln -s <mytexmf> texmf
2] one can mount it to /usr/share/texmf
  mkdir -p /usr/share/texmf
  mount <mytexmf_Win32path> /usr/share/texmf

See the script <tetextop>/cygwin/cygunpack-tds and inspect how
the TDS used to build the tarballs has been obtained.

-----------------

Quick Installation:

Here is an overview of a typical installation:

1] install  TDS at /usr/share/texmf (see above):
     cd /usr/share
     mkdir -p texmf
     tar -zxf teTeX-texmf-1.0.tar.gz
2] remove, if exists, the directory /usr/share/texmf/web2c :
     the files in this directories are cygwin dependant.
3] install the binaries with the cygwin setup as usual;
4] check the configuration files in /usr/share/texmf/web2c
     texmf.cnf, fmtutil.cnf and mktex.cnf
   please note that the distributed configuration files are
   (with extension) frozen to avoid overwriting.
5] configure TeX:
     texconfig confall
     texconfig rehash (or mktexlsr)
     texconfig init
  and to configure what you need:
     texconfig
6] check that the dvips configuration file
     /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps
   does send outputs as desired (`o' line option).

See /usr/doc/tetex-XXX/QuickInstall for more informations.

-----------------

Quick Installation Check:

1] PostScript output:
  latex small2e.tex
  dvips small2e.dvi -o small2e.ps

2] PDF output:
  pdflatex small2e.tex

Note that both PS and PDF outputs can be view (and print)
with GSview (see below).

-----------------

Viewer/Printer Notes:

This distribution does not provide viewers (for the moment):
1] since the distributed cygwin does deal with X stuff,
   XDvi is not available:
   nevertheless the distributed source is distributed (without changes);
2] PDF output can be viewed (and print) with Acrobat Reader for Windows
   freely available at http://www.adobe.com/acrobat ;
3] PostScript (and PDF) output can be viewed (and print) with
   the Ghostscript Graphical Interface GSview distributed by Ghostgum
   http://www.ghostgum.com.au ;
4] both PDF and PostScript outputs can be printed with Ghostscrip.
5] cygwin does NOT provide a ready-to-use `lpr' (for the moment):
   consult the cygwin archive to see how to mimic `lpr'.

-----------------

Help Notes:

For further information concerning the cygwin distribution:
1] peruse the cygwin FAQ;
2] peruse the cygwin archive;
3] in last resort, send an email to the cygwin community
     cygwin@cygwin.com
   with `teTeX' somewhere in the subject.

-----------------

The source archive already has the appropriate cygwin patch applied.
To remove and revert to a 'clean' tetex-beta-20001218
  mv <tetextop>/cygwin/tetex-beta-20001218-X.patch <tetextop>/..
  cd <tetextop>
  patch -p1 -R < ../tetex-beta-20001218-X.patch

------------------

See the script <tetextop>/cygwin/cygunpack-src and inspect how
the original source has been obtained from various source archives
from the CTAN.
See the script <tetextop>/cygwin/cygcreate-src and inspect how
the cygwin source archive has been created for complete information.

-----------------

Requirements:
  GNU ed 0.2 (which builts OOTB)
  ghostscript-5.50-2 or later
  perl-5.6.1-1 or later

Direct Dependencies:
  zlib-1.1.3-6
  libpng-1.0.9-3
  tiff-3.5.5-3
  ncurses-5.2-4

-----------------

Canonical Homepage:
  http://www.tug.org
  http://www.loria.fr/services/tex
  http://uk.tug.org/uk-tug

Canonical Download:
  Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN)
  ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive
  ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive

See /usr/doc/tetex-XXX/texk/etc/MIRROR for CTAN mirrors

-----------------

To build for cygwin:

tar -zxf tetex-beta-20001218-X-src.tar.gz
cd tetex-beta-20001218
./reautoconf
cd cygwin
./cygconfigure
cd ..
make
make check
make install

See the script <tetextop>/cygwin/cygcreate-bin and inspect how
the cygwin binary archive has been created from the cygwin
source archive.

Port Notes:

Cygwin port maintained by: Jerome Benoit jgmb@sources.redhat.com
This port is the second one: