Re: Help! I Can't run vim.exe on NT 4.0 ssh'ed in to NT

Hi

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 11:49:09PM -0400, Shapirod112@cs.com wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have set up sshd on NT 4.0 and I can get into the system now.
> Unfortunately, when I run vim.exe, the term is messed up or something.  I can
> not scroll  past the 11 or so lines I see on the screen.  When I scroll down
> and change a line it turns out I am on a line completely different then the
> one I thought I was on.  I tried set TERM=cygwin, set TERM=vt100, set
> TERM=ansi.  vim.exe does not seem to have a TERM option of vt100 and defaults
> to ansi.

Joe editor has JOETERM as environment variable.

> I really want to edit files.  What am I doing wrong?  What
> environment setting is not right?  I have tried set CYGWIN=tty.  I read
> through the archives searching on vim, environment, TERM, but I have not
> found the answer.  I even went to vim home page too to look around.  Please
> help.  Ah, well, cygwin was recently download, so I guess I have the latest
> stuff.
>
> Thanks,
>
> david

In theory, vim is the editor for every programmer and sys admin. In practice
I find that joe editor works well when vim stumbles. I can't explain why joe
is so robust. I don't believe in one editor for all applications. I use vim
when joe fails and vice versa. BUT I am not an editor guru so please pardon me
if I have the wrong perception about either editor.

EW