mkdir creating directories with bad permissions?

I'm seeing odd behavior with mkdir on Why2K with the latest cygwin snapshots
(6-4 is the last one to not do this).  CYGWIN is not defined, so I assume
ntsec is enabled(?).  Here's what I'm seeing:

	mkdir ./whatever

creates a directory with AFAICT correct Windows 2000 permissions and
everything's fine.

	mkdir ./whatever/another

creates a directory giving me read and write permissions, but nothing else,
in particular "List folder contents", "Modify", "Read & Execute", etc.

Known issue?  It's not supposed to work this way, is it?  Would my cygcheck
help?

Gary R. Van Sickle (tiberius@braemarinc.com)
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.