Re: tar won't restore permissions

Ivan Dobrianov wrote:

> I just upgraded to the latest version of Cygwin. This fixed a problem
> that I had with an earler version.
>
> Now I seem to have a worse situation: tar will not restore the original
> permissions from an archive. If I have a file in an archive
> -r--r--r-- 1047/everyone 37324 2001-01-19 19:15:21
> perspective/myFile.cpp
> the command:
> tar xvzf myArchive.tgz -p
> will restore it with the permission:
> -rw-r--r--
>
> All tar's I've seen so far don't even need the -p to do the right job.
> The tar that came with Cygwin B20 also works right.
>
> Has anyone heard of this problem?
> Thanks.

Ok, almost half a year later I upgrade to the latest Cygwin on a W2K
machine and get the same problem!

One simple fix [at least for NTFS partitions] seems to be the setting of
the $CYGWIN variable, e.g. in my .bashrc file:

export CYGWIN=ntea      # Fix tar permission problem!

This also has a beneficial effect on "chmode".

The User Guide warns about doing this on a non-NTFS system though!