Re: DDS audio tape drives with Cygwin

    Brian> I recently purchased a DDS2 tape drive capable of reading
    Brian> my audio DAT's and have been looking for software that can
    Brian> extract audio from the drive in Windows (Win2k)...
           <snip>
    Brian> While searching for other software I came across the
    Brian> program called "read_dat" for the *nix environment.  I
    Brian> grabbed the source code and managed to compile the program
    Brian> to work under Windows using Cygwin...
           <snip>
    Brian> My problem is that the WAV files output from the DDS drive
    Brian> through read_dat are problematic - they sound like very
    Brian> loud static.

Brian,

This sounds similar to a problem I've had when converting MP3 files to
WAV format for burning audio CDs.  The problem was solved when I
turned on the byte-swapping option in my Linux CD-ROM burner app
(xcdroast.)  Since the audio is in 16-bit chunks, problems can occur
when the byte-ordering is not correct for your machine.

Check and see if 'read_dat' has an option to perform byte-swapping on
the actual audio data.  If not, check out the source code for cdrecord.

Hope this helps,

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com