DDS audio tape drives with Cygwin

Hi,

I just joined the group and it looks like a wonderful resource - I'm not
too sure on the protocol here so someone kindly let me know if I'm outta
line.......

I recently purchased a DDS2 tape drive capable of reading my audio DAT's
and have been looking for software that can extract audio from the drive in
Windows (Win2k).  The drive is a Conner Archive 4mm 4/8 GB tape unit with
firmware capable of reading DAT.

While searching for other software I came across the program called
"read_dat" for the *nix environment.  I grabbed the source code and managed
to compile the program to work under Windows using Cygwin.  I also managed
to mount the drive in Cygwin's bash shell as /dev/st0.  My problem is that
the WAV files output from the DDS drive through read_dat are problematic -
they sound like very loud static.  I've tried to mount the drive in binary
and textmode and got the same results both ways.

I had a look through these archives and found some info issues relating to
different block size in Linux and Windows.  I'm not sure if that is my
problem given that "data on an audio DAT tape is laid out in 5822 byte
frames. The first 5760 bytes of each frame are used for sound. The last 62
bytes of the frame, i.e. frame[5760..5821] contain information about the
recording rather than sound"  So I thought that the program would deal with
block size based on the DAT standard - is that an erroneous assumption?

One of the "known bugs"  for read_dat is that its "untested on big-endian
machines" . Is this a factor for me in under Windows?

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and if there is an easy
fix?  Thanks much for any input!
Cheers
Brian