Re: [avail for test] readline-4.2-1

> How autoconfiscated/libtoolised/automade is readline && your patch? I'm
> doing a chunk of work now on libtool and will investigate taking on
> readline...

There are two issues: my current patch, and possible libtool improvements:

1) The patch has several parts:
   a) changes to .h and .c files: these add the appropriate macros and and
defines so that __declspec(dllimport/dllexport) is used when appropriate
   b) changes to Makefiles (Makefile.in's) for building dll's and including the
-DREADLINE_STATIC define when building/linking the static lib
   c) other misc changes (the stuff in CYGWIN-PATCHES, installing the cygwin
README)

1-a) is necessary and is unaffected by platform.  When building on non-cygwin,
the READLINE_EXPORT() macros are NOPs.
1-b) is not (old) autoconf friendly.  I don't know how to make it so. See 2)
1-c) this stuff should not be submitted back to Chet.  It's inappropriate for
the official readline dist.

My changes are not libtool-based at all.  It seems, too, that readline doesn't
use libtool to build on Linux, either.  It appears that readline is autoconf'ed,
but not libtool'ed.

2) Rumor has it that newer libtools can create dll's.  I have not looked into
this issue at all.  If you pursue this, the Makefiles will probably change
w.r.t. the original in a differet way than I have changed them in 1-b).  Also, I
do not know if libtool can deal with the appropriate #defines and macros as in
1-a).

--Chuck