Re: [avail for test] readline-4.2-1

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Unfortunately, due to API changes (i.e., deprecation) both PostgreSQL
> and Python no longer build OOTB.  PostgreSQL and Python fail to link
> because filename_completion_function() and completion_matches() are no
> longer being exported from the readline's import library, respectively:

filename_completion_function
completion_matches

...were replaced by...

rl_filename_completion_function
rl_completion_matches

compat.c provides wrappers so that the new functions can be accessed by
calling the old functions.  However, the old functions are NOT declared
in readline.h (at least, not by default):

#if 0
/* Backwards compatibility (compat.c).  These will go away sometime. */
...various declarations...
#endif

So, even to use the functions as included in the static lib or dll,
you'd have to modify readline.h.  I don't think that's a good idea --
besides, heed Chet's warning: These *will* go away (completely)
sometime.

> Would you be willing to re-export these two functions (and possibly all
> of the ones in compat.c)?  Otherwise, this is going to take some time...

Well, I believe that merely postpones the problem.  Don't worry about
the delay; take your time.  Chris has convinced me to include the old
DLL's (e.g. cygreadline4.dll) within a new readline-4.2-2 package.  Look
for that to come out soon.

> Devise patches, submit patches, wait for patches to be considered,
> revise patches, submit patches, etc...

Yeah.  How do you conditionalize on library versions?

if readline-version > 4.2, then
#define COMPLETION_MATCHES rl_completion_matches
else
#define COMPLETION_MATCHES completion_matches
endif

????

--Chuck