Re: rlogin without passwd prompt from cygwin

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:35:35AM -0000, piotr cygwin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I still can't bypass the passwd prompt when trying to rlogin from cygwin to
> another machine.
>
> Here is my user entry in /etc/passwd on cygwin:
> ------------------
> PHUGONNET::12576:10513:HUGONNET
> Pierre,U-FRCGGNT\PHUGONNET,S-1-5-21-(...skipped..):/home/PHUGONNET:/bin/bash
> ------------------
>
> Here are the entries I have added in the rhosts file of the remote machine.
> I tried all compbinations of upper/lower cases, with or without the
> domain... (ibmpor47 is the name of the PC):
> ------------------
> ibmpor47 +
> ibmpor47 frcggnt\phugonnet
> ibmpor47 phugonnet
> ibmpor47 PHUGONNET
> ibmpor47 FRCGGNT\PHUGONNET
> ------------------

No problem here. You can drop the domain\name lines. They are useless.
Try the FQDN of your machine (ibmpor47.foo.bar) and be sure the permissions
of the remote $HOME/.rhosts file are 0600.

And care for the case of the name. The name is evaluated case sensitive
so if it's all lower case on the remote machine, better change that in
your local passwd to lower case, too.

Corinna

> Really I don't know what to do. I haven't started inetd, but I don't think I
> need it for that ?

No.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.