Re: [avail for test] readline-4.2-1

Robert Collins wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
> > HOWEVER!!! Setup will *uninstall* the old dll when upgrading readline.
> SNIP
>
> I think this is the first time this has occured with the new setup.

No, setup always uninstalls the previous package before installing the
new one.  That's what the installed.db file and the
/etc/setup/readline.lst.gz file are used for.  There are sneaky ways
around this (a little thought and a peek at the setup.exe source would
reveal them) but simple saving the old dll's is much simpler than the
sneaky stuff.

> If I can make a suggestion: would it make sense to have 2 readline
> packages, one with the old binary, and one with the new binary? If the
> headers collide, then that might not be trivial, but you could make the
> old readline package be libraries only.

Yes, that would make sense, in a commercial distribution.  However, what
you're really asking is for me to add another package to the list of
those I maintain.  I already have too many.  I will not add another.
Cygwin-net is not a commercial distribution, and I am a volunteer with
severly limited time (having just finished my Ph.D. proposal I am now
"ABD" -- All But Dissertation -- and *really* must cut back my cygwin
time).

> Other projects/platforms do this quite routinely when a package breaks
> backward compatability, keeping both in production until no packages
> need the old binary.

Yes, that is true.  In this case, the ONLY package the needs the old
binary is postgresql.  The new readline is a test release.  I will try
to coordinate with Jason so that both postgres and readline are updated
together (e.g. if possible, I will refrain from promoting this "test"
version of readline to "official" status until Jason is ready to release
a corresponding postgres).

--Chuck