Re: Maintainer of OpenSSH

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 09:27:19AM -0400, Joseph S. Testa wrote:
> 	Specifically, I was planning on only packaging sftp.exe &
> cygwin1.dll (don't cringe -- I know this sounds odd) with my project.
> This works because the sftp.exe that comes with the OpenSSH2.9p1-2 package
> seems to be self-sufficient.  Now that I need to recompile the client
> myself, I've noticed that after a connection to a host is made, it tries
> to exec '/usr/local/bin/ssh'. This fails, of course, because sftp.exe is
> being executed directly and not from a bash shell.

Huh? That has nothing to do with a missing bash.

> 	So, I was wondering how exactly the maintainer of OpenSSH compiled
> the package so as to create a self-sufficient executable.  Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

sftp isn't self-sufficient. It's an application on top of ssh.
It doesn't contain any code which maintains the secure connection.
That code is only in ssh and sshd.
You have to package at least sftp, ssh and the Cygwin DLL.

Anyway, the settings when compiling the current 2.9 package:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/sbin \
	    --with-pcre

Then change line 439 in defines.h to define USE_PIPES. The next
version of OpenSSH will do this by default for Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.