some newbie questions about the c++ libraries included in Cygwin...

First let me say I really think Cygwin is great, and I apologize much for
posting such a newbie question.  My C++ textbook is built around the Zortech
compiler (which i cannot afford), and certain things in it require Zortech,
but say:  "If you're using a different compiler, consult it's manual"...
well, the manuals on here seem to be big enough that you could make a 5 year
university course out of them.. :) and 90% of their content is above my
head..  so, I'm really sorry for posting such newbie questions here, but
it's either post here, spend the next 5 years reading them, or give up...

my 2 questions are...  what function to use, and which included header file
to use  (assuming this is included in Cygwin) to change the cursor position?
  the equivalent to the "locate" command in basic...  the function my
textbook uses for this requires a header file only in an expensive compiler.
  And, which function/header file to change the color of the text sent to
stdout?  Again, the function in my textbook requires an expensive compiler.
I tried looking through the header files in /cygwin/usr/... but it seemed
like they consisted 99% of declarations and #defines and such, without any
actual function(s) in sight.

Thank you very much in advance, and again sorry for posting such a newbie
questions.