Re: Cygwin Setup 2.54

Travis Howell wrote:
> I had downloaded all the Cygwin setup binary tarballs to
> just one directory and launched setup from there. The reason I choose to
> reinstall was all the Cygwin setup binary tarballs showed up as new again.

Did you do setup to do the Download from the internet or did you track down the
tarballs on your own.  The reason I ask is because on my system each of the
package tarballs ends up in its own subdirectory below there directory I tell
setup to store them in.

> The reason I choose to
> reinstall was all the Cygwin setup binary tarballs showed up as new again.

This happens because they are not showing up in the directory where they are
supposed to live, ie if you look at the setup.ini file you will see each
package say it live in either contrib or latest and then below that the name of
the package and then the tar ball.  Setup read setup.ini and this tells it
where to look for the files.  In an attempt to make the new version easier for
those you don't use it much, it was modified so that during a download/partial
list display it shows you only the files that need updating and do not exist on
disk already (in the above mentioned path structure).  When you do an install
from local directory it only shows you the packages which need updating and do
exist on disk.  So if you do not have the tarballs in the correct directories
(as I inquired above) they will all show as new again.

> The method installed into a random directory name (file then openssh) in the
> directory where the Cygwin binaries tarballs are, even though I always
> choose C:\Cygwin\.

This I'm not sure about yet because of the points mentioned above but I would
like to ask what is your normal root selection and download directory
selection.  You mention C:\Cygwin - but please expand on this.

> Setup again after an
> installation and choose to show all packages, not all of the installled
> packages offer an uninstall option.

Were they installed - the far left side of the chooser window shows the current
version - if there is a version listed - it should have an uninstall - if there
is no version listed then no uninstall and also no keep option will display as
well.