Can't SSH with publickey authentication?

Hiya.

I was happily using ssh on cygwin on NT for the last 6 months, but
recently had to migrate to Win2K, and haven't been able to use SSH since
then:

I'm trying to open a connection to a server that only takes publickey
authentication.  I generate a key, put my identity.pub in the
authorized_keys file, try to connect, and always get "Permission denied
(publickey)"

At first I thought it was because of the world-readable-identity-file
problem, but then I gather Corinna adapted openssh to handle that.  I have
no problem getting to this machine using SecureCRT, but if I try the
identity key created by SecureCRT as the key for cygwin-command-line
openssh it complains "PEM_read_PrivateKey failed" in the debug output and
asks for a passphrase, regardless of whether the key needs one or not.  I
also can get to this machine fine using ssh from a separate linux box.

I've been over the readme file and most of it seems to deal with sshd.  I
figure I'm missing something completely obvious.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!
- Ert