Re: hardlinks on ntfs/fat

Konstantin,

I think the "inode number" reported by "ls -i" is a better way of
ascertaining if two directory entries reference the same file or not.

I am curious about why "ln" would copy a file if it gets EXDEV (if I
remember that right -- Error: cross-device link). I certainly wouldn't want
that to happen if I explicitly ask to link (not copy). Is that specified
behavior for the Unix / Linux / POSIX way for the ln command? I see no
mention of this behavior in the man page or the "ln --help" output.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA