OpenSSH 2.9p1 ssh hanging

Hi Corinna...

Can anyone reproduce this problem? I used to use

ssh hostname -f -L portnumber:localhost:portnumber sleep 30

to open a tunnel and give me 30 seconds to connect to it. This worked in
2.5.2p2-3. It does not work in 2.9p1-1.

The -f let ssh return immediately so I could start an application (from the
same script file) that used the tunnel.

I not sure if the port forwarding as above is working. Any thoughts on how I
can tell? But...I tried

ssh hostname -f sleep 30

and this leaves a ssh/sshd pair hanging. Does anyone else have the same
symptoms?

Thanks,

...Karl