telnetd does not write to tty?

I've just installed Cygwin 1.3, and am trying to get telnetd configured and
working.  Here's what I've tried so far.

1) I've used the to build the files in /etc.  This seems to work fine, and
they look more or less like the same files on Linux.
2) I added entries to /etc/shells for /usr/bin/bash (since there did not
seem to be a /bin/bash).
3) I installed inetd as a service, using the --install-as-service option,
and start the service.
4) If I telnet in as "telnet localhost", I get "login:" and it takes my
password.  I then get the default login message ("Fanfare!..")
5) At this point, telnet hangs, and nothing I type gets echoed back (except
for for <CR>!).

I'm at a loss as to how to debug this.  Has anyone seen this problem, and
have any idea what in addition I need to configure for this to work?

I'm using Win2000/Professional for cygwin on the system running inetd and
telnetd.

Much thanks for any hints.

Rob
Rob Thorne