g77 and GNU makefile problems

Gentlemen,

Let me introduce myself as an older Professor - who has taken early
retirement and come to India to do technology transfer in the area of
emissions reduction for I.C. engines.  I am attempting to write a large
engine combustion simulation code in f77 to solve it on my Pent III.

At present I am attempting to load and use g77 along with a 6.1 release of
ReadHat Linux.

The g77 helps section tells me that because I have a version with egcs
....that it can not help me with instillation.  I thought I had installed
the g77 properly - but find the following serious problems:

1) in attempting to compile a short fortran 77 program I obtain a "a.out"
file which then will not run. When trying to run a simple one file
program(which is well tested and worked well on an HP workstation earlier)
by typing "a.out" after the "$"....I get the message "bash: a.out: command
not found" .
2) also, despite a day's search I can not get the code to compile a makefile
(using the make command).  First I tried with fortan source code--- then I
took examples out of the help section using "files.c".  Always I get the
same fault.  As an example --- for the simple makefile:

e:    setup.f
        touch e

I get the following message (for "make -k"):

" ', needed by 'e' to make target 'setup.f
 make: Target 'e' not remade because of errors. "

I get essentially the same for more complicated makefiles .....   my
suspicion is that the problem is not with make - it is with the gcc and g77
compilers.

Please help -  I have no one within at least a hundred miles from where I
live (high in the Indian Himalayan Mountains) who I can even talk to on this
subject. I do have internet access - but not a good connection.  I am having
a US resident send this message for me.  Please respond to this address.

Thanx.

Dave Blank