Re[2]: Symlinking in win9x is now possible at kernel-level!

Tuesday, May 08, 2001, 1:50:17 PM, you wrote:

ed>>>  for example, symlinks can
ed>>> (possibly) be cycled /foo/bar points to /foo, for example. have you
ed>>> tried such configuration? how about pressing F3 in explorer and
ed>>> traversing file system?

KI>> It won't die just because there is a limit of the expansion count, so
KI>> it will end up traversing somewhere in /foo/bar/bar/bar/bar/bar/bar ;)

ed> not so simple. imagine now that you have /foo/bar -> /foo and /foo/baz -> foo
ed> traversing time will grow exponentially at a rate of 2^n.

ed> folder sizes will be rather big too.

Of course. I don't want to say all native programs will run correctly.
But some of them will and in fact they do. The ability to turn
symlinking on/off dynamically allows all programs running properly
(but gives a headache for the user who has to turn them on/off ;)

ed> cygwin symlinks are _slow_. i believe cygwin's symlink handling code
ed> is one of the biggest contributors to the cygwin being slower than
ed> normal unices. that's why i've asked you about performance. if your
ed> implementation gives significant speed gain, it's worth adding to
ed> cygwin in some way.

I have tested it, my implementation is ~1.2 times slower than cygwin's one.
So, the answer is: it isn't.

--
Konstantin Isakov