Re: termcap/terminfo for cygwin console

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Both terminfo and termcap files are in the standard cygwin release.
> >>
> >> infocmp cygwin
> >>
> >> will display the cygwin settings.
> >
> >So, Fabrice, you could extract this info and load it onto the Linux & Sun
> >stations, or persuade their sysadmin to do so. The procedure is fairly
> >straightforward, but I won't try to tell you how or I will probably set you
> >wrong. Try man infocmp and go from there.
> >
> >If you can't do this (I've been waiting weeks for this to percolate to the
> >top of my sysadmin's TODO list) try TERM=linux or if that's not available,
> >TERM=ansi.
> >
> >You mentioned you had tried TERM=linux. What problems do you run into. Why
> >not e-mail me off-list about this.
>
> Actually there are environment variables that you can set which will allow
> you to use your own local copies of both termcap and terminfo.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the man pages for each of these would be helpful for
> figuring out what they are and how to use them.

And if you don't wish to do that; I've been using TERM=ansi on the
remote host.  However there was a push to be more vt100 compatible and
for versions >= 1.3.0 then you could try TERM=vt100 on the remote host.
I've just begun to try this one and don't have results yet.  It's a good
idea to use X11's resize program after setting the TERM value.

Earnie.