From: Karr, David [mailto:david.karr@cacheflow.com]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 1:45 PM
To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Strange PATH behavior with 1.3.1

I use a technique of putting shell script "wrappers" earlier in the path
than programs being "wrapped".  I also use a script that can return the
second (or nth) occurrence of an executable in the PATH.  This has worked
fine for a long time, at 2 jobs before this, and here, when I had 1.1.8
installed.  I just installed 1.3.1 a few minutes ago, and now I see that
this doesn't work anymore.

I can ask my script which manually searches the path to return all the
occurrences of a particular executable name, in the order it finds them.
Using this, I see that I have my "wrapper" script earlier in the PATH than
the program it's wrapping.  However, when I execute the command, it never
executes my wrapper script, it always executes the program I'm trying to
wrap.  The output of "type -p" shows that it didn't find my wrapper script
first.  The output of "type -a" shows that it didn't find my wrapper script
at ALL.  If I specify the full path to my wrapper script, it executes fine.