sshd: failed password

Howdy.

First, thanks for all your hard work on cygwin.  It rules!

Gotta question on sshd.  I've installed the latest copies
of everything (as of 4/18/01) which includes cygwin 1.1.8
and openssh-2.5.2.p2.

I've read the /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh*.readme, and have
adjusted the sshd_config file for no RSA and yes for passwords.

Here's the problem.  Running the daemon as myself,
and trying to log in as myself, I just get (from sshd -d -d -d)
"Failed password for andy from 1.2.3.4 port xyz"

I've made my password very trivial, and have tried
that along with no password, and the network password.
I've tried setting my password from the users control
panel as well as the cygwin password command.

I've tried different incarnations of the passwd file, with
mkpasswd -s and without, and I've tried adding the
U-andy as the second part of the gecos field.

I'm not using ntsec, and the CYGWIN environment variable
is null.

Any ideas?

Thanks tons!

Andy