emacs and cvs : ediff, merge, and ^M

I saw the thread initiated by Chuck Irvine about ediff and carriage returns
(^M) on Windows back in November, but could not find any resolution.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-11/threads.html#01515

I am experiencing similar problems, both --binary not being understood and
^M appearing upon merge.  When files are merged through the cvs update
command (with or without conflicts) ^M are inserted in the new versions.
It seems that whatever is doing the merge for cvs is inserting these
carriage returns?  Is there any way to stop this?  Is this a configuration
issue?  I am not too concerned about the --binary issue since I really
haven't looked into it thoroughly enough, however, I could use some help
with the carriage returns.

The ediff version I have is 2.70.2 (as indicated by ediff-version)
The emacs version I have is 20.7.1 (as indicated by version)
The cvs version is 1.11 (as indicated by cvs --version)
My cygwin.dll version is 1.1.8 (that is the version I downloaded... how can
I figure this out if I forgot?)

Thanks in advance,
- joshua