Re: Cross compiler for Linux?

Hi Guys,

I didn't get a response to this email. Does that mean that no-one is
presently cross compiling Linux apps from a Win32 box at all? Any
info or pointers on where to look to find out how to build a cross
compiler with GCC will be vastly appreciated...

> Hi Guys,
>
> We are in the process of attempting to use Cygwin as a cross compile
> development environment for Linux using a Windows 2000 machine for
> development. Our plan is to target initially Red Hat 7.0, but we
> would like to support all distributions with one binary. Hence our
> plan is to simply staticly link the runtime libraries we use into our
> programs instead of dynamically linking the code to avoid issues with
> libc5, glibc2 glibc2.1 etc etc. We would also like to be able to
> remote debug from the Windows 2000 machine to the Linux box using
> TCP/IP (probably with GVD or Insight; does Insight support this?)
>
> So if anyone has any experience in this area or can point me to the
> appropriate FAQ's and documentation on doing this it would be
> appreciated. Also my plan initially is to start with the latest
> version of GCC/Binutils etc source code that already builds for
> Cygwin as the basis of the cross-compiler rather than using the Red
> Hat source code (definately not 2.96 from RH 7.0 ;-). Does that plan
> make sense, or should we start with a different version of the
> compiler? What about the binutils stuff, will the versions that are
> used for Cygwin work OK if we re-target and compile them for Linux?
>
> Thanks!

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |