Re: SSH, Expect & Cygwin

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, SS wrote:

> However, I was suggested to try with an EMPTY PASSPHRASE, & that works
> fine from the command line as well as from the Expect script! the script
> is as below:
>
> #!/usr/bin/expect
> spawn /bin/ssh -l myusername -p myport myhostname.abc.com "ls -l"
> expect eof
>
> But I dont want to do that because the whole idea od using SSH is lost
> if I am using an empty passphrase.

Not really, I don't think. Authentication still takes place based on the
user's keys. This should be pretty secure as long as the location of the
keys is not world-readable (ssh will fail to work if it is, I think) and
the machine where you coming from has not been compromised.

I use this method to run pre-backup scripts on NT and Unix hosts as user
operator (you don't need expect at all).

A.