Compiler option questions

I have downloaded and installed the Cygwin package and it works despite my
having NO knowledge of Unix or C. My objectives are VERY limited. I want to
learn PowerPC assembly language and I thought that doing some C compiles and
looking over the assembly source output would be helpful. So, all I want to
do is make the GCC compiler generate PowerPC assembly code to some file that
I can look over. In checking the documentation it seems that I can tell the
compiler to generate code for a Powerpc machine by using the "-mpowerpc"
parameter. It also seems that I can tell the compiler to quit after
generating this code by using the "-s" parameter. I'm entering these options
on the command line like:
"gcc hello.c -mpowerpc -s", but it isn't working. Thanks for any help.