Re: ssh Authentication--RSA/Password

Hi Corinna and All...

Consider the following...Suppose sshd were modified so that password
authentication could succeed only if RSA authentication had almost succeeded
(meaning that the RSA authentication itself succeeded but the setuid
failed). Then the authentication sequence might look something like this:

Client and server try RSA authentication.

Server detects that RSA authentication succeeded but the setuid failed and
sets a flag to remember this fact.

Server tells client that RSA authentication failed.

Client and server try password authentication.

Server checks the flag and only allows success if the flag is set. This
might be controlled by setting passwordAuthentication to "maybe" instead of
the usual "yes" or "no" in sshd_config.

The result is that I have typed both a passphrase and a password correctly
in order to get in. This means that for any attacks by a listener on the
internet, I have the security of RSA authentication--which I believe is
better than most passwords. I also have the password needed to make life
good (and easy) in the NT world.

Do you see any security holes?

Would this be of general interest?

Thanks,