Re[2]: login to bash

Hello Michael,

ME> Take a look at:
ME> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-02/msg00581.html

ME> -ME

sorry to bother you directly, but I didn't quite get this running. If
you can spare some time, maybe you can have a second look at this:

I want to run "login" instead of "bash -i --login" in the cygwin.bat.

On 98/FAT32 "login" checked for the user name /password as in
/etc/passwd.
Now, on 2000/NTFS it always returns: Login incorrect
I tried running login as Administrator and my regular login 'merkosh'.
Same result.

I wanted to use login to change user while working. "su" should be a
better choice for this, but su always returns "su: cannot set user id:
Not owner" if I try to change to *a different* user id.
When I am logged in as 'merkosh' and do 'su merkosh' it scrambles my
prompt:
$ su merkosh
\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]

The only idea I have is that some access permissions haven't been set
correctly. After installing using the setup.exe all files were set to
full read, write, exec permission. owner was 'merkosh' and group
'none'. I changed this to -rwxr-xr-x for directories and executables
and to -rw-r--r-- for all other files.

I had a look at http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID
... will I have to re-compile to get this working?
The readme in /usr/doc/Cygwin/login.README didn't help much either.

That's it. I hope you got an idea on this.
Thanks in advance

Uwe