Re: Problems about compiling

At 06:13 PM 3/23/2001, Sumedhe Wanninayake wrote:
>Hello there
>
>I am a student (software engineering) from Canterbury University (New
>Zealand).
>I downloaded the latest release of Cygwin and installed it using your
>setup.exe and it installed very well. But when I try to compile some
>program codes by giving the command (gcc helloworld.c -o helloworld.exe)
>at the bash prompt($) it gives me the following message.
>D:\SOFTWARE_PROGRAMS\CYGWIN\LIB\GCC-LIB\I681-PC-CYGWIN\2.95.2-6\CC1.EXE:
>*** 2. unable to allocate heap, heap_chunk_size 1073741824, Win32 error
>8
>So I do not know what that is, please help me to understand this and fix
>it.
>
>Thank you very much for your time.

Welcome to Win 9x.  You need to reset the value for heap_chuck_size in your registry to something your Win 9x likes.  Whatever its set to is too high for
you.  You can find a discussion about this in the email archives, at least
several months back.  This was a problem with a cygwin1.dll briefly, though
there shouldn't be an issue with any current DLL AFAIK.  Are you sure you
downloaded something current?

To fix this, change the value in the registry to something smaller than what
it's set to now.  Check the mail archives for this registry key to find its
exact location or search your registry.  128 is a value that should resolve
your issue.