Re: midnight commander

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:38:32PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:13:49PM +0000, Georg Fusz wrote:
> > What means RPM?
>
> It is a package management system used on many Linux distributions.  It
> keeps a database of installed packages and files that belong to them, so
> you can always know which files belong to which packages, what packages
> are installed and so on.  It also knows about dependencies between
> packages.
>
> There is a CygWin port of RPM and links to some packages (including MC)
> in RPM format avaulable at this address:
>
> > Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > > You can find a precompiled Midnight Commander version 4.1.36 for
> > > CygWin at http://cygwin-rpm.sourceforge.net/

I must admit that I'm getting a bit confused between the FreeBSD
terminology and that of Redhat's. In FBSD, a package is a pre-compiled
program together with any support/config files; while theirs "ports"
system, are "packages" of source code and other files necessary to
compile an application into its binaries. Soooo, are RPMs like the former
or latter? I ask because you speak of "dependencies" above, which makes
me suspect that RPMs may be what I'm used to calling "ports". Tia...
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada