Re: rm -r not working

At 12:42 PM 3/20/2001, Primitive Guy wrote:
>I want to remove all my .class files in all sub-directories starting from /dev/classes.
>
>classes $ rm -r *.class
>rm: cannot remove `*.class': No such file or directory
>
>There are no .class files in /dev/classes but there are certainly .class files in sub-directories of /dev/classes.
>
>what am I doing wrong?

rm --help
Usage: rm [OPTION]... FILE...
Remove (unlink) the FILE(s).

   -d, --directory       unlink directory, even if non-empty (super-user only)
   -f, --force           ignore nonexistent files, never prompt
   -i, --interactive     prompt before any removal
   -r, -R, --recursive   remove the contents of directories recursively
   -v, --verbose         explain what is being done
       --help            display this help and exit
       --version         output version information and exit

The -r flag to rm removes the contents of the specified directory and the
directory itself.  It doesn't search out the file spec you specify and remove
those recursively.  You can use find to do that (in conjunction with rm)
though.