Re: mingw32 build?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> [I hope I got the attribution right, here]
> At 05:26 PM 3/14/01 -0600, James N. Potts wrote:
> >I still ran into the cyggdbm problem, because configure finds the
> >cygnus version of gdbm and assumes it should use it.  Building with
> >"--with-database=no" fixed that.  Should this be the default for a
> >mingw32 build?
> >
> >Dunno.  Really the cygnus folks should ship mingw equivalents of all of
> >these and disambiguate them somehow from the cygnus ones.
>
> Wow, I missed this somehow.  Usually my nose hair quivers uncontrollably when
> I detect someone suggesting that I should do more work for them.
>
> Maybe this has been said already but mingw != cygwin.  It's a separate
> project.  We (i.e., I) do support limited mingw functionality in the
> compiler.  That's all that we do.  It's only good for Windows-specific
> compilations, AFAIK.

Chris, *I* was actually thinking about cygwin -mno-cygwin, not mingw
(although, I *think* that anything which benefits -mno-cygwin also
benefits mingw)  For instance, building a full *cygwin* version of
XEmacs (which includes the netinstall program == modified
cygwin-setup.exe), requires that netinstall.exe be built with cygwin
-mno-cygwin and links to -lz.  But, that zlib must be a non-cygwin
version (just like cygwin's setup.exe builds with its own internal copy
of zlib, which also must be compiled -mno-cygwin).  For now, I just
don't build netinstall when doing a cygwin build.

I can't speak for Andy (who has contributed a lot to the cygwin project
in the past -- his "usrlocal" tarball was *my* personal inspiration for
cygutils and all of my ports to cygwin-1.1.x), but if we're going to
support -mno-cygwin at all, an argument can be made that such support
should also include *some* libraries.

I don't know if I agree with that argument, but it is one worth hashing
out.

I am willing, if it is deemed appropriate, to *begin* providing
-mno-cygwin versions of *some* of my ported libraries, in the interests
of improving -mno-cygwin operation.  (I won't use the term 'mingw' --
that particular term seems to get under your skin :-)  As I said
earlier, that would be a LONG term project given my limited cycles, and
a few questions need to be answered, including the one you raise:  how
should such -mno-cygwin libs be separated from cygwin libs?

You've given a partial answer: they should not be included in the same
tarball as the cygwin libs.  And you've also raised a potential problem:
this behavior requires changes to setup.exe.  Thanks.

--Chuck