Re: CVS DIFF? with cvs 1.11 under cygwin 1.1.9

Technically, this is really a generic "cvs help" request, and is
offtopic for this list; however, I understand that you are concerned
that the behavior you see is a *cygwin* bug, as opposed to a generic cvs
thing.

John Daniel Doucette wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am learning how to use CVS and as part of this process I set up a test
> repository to 'play' with.  I can then try out various CVS operations on
> test data and become comfortable with CVS before moving on to REAL
> source.  I am having a problem with a certain 'cvs diff' operation.   My
> test repository contains a trunk with several revisions and two branches.

>     |        (branch_1)
>   trunk_1 -->branch_1_1
>     |           |
>     |           |
>   trunk_2    branch_1_2
>   trunk_3
>     |        (branch_2)
>   trunk_4 -->branch_2_1
>     |           |
>     |           |
>   trunk_5    branch_2_2
>     |           |
>     |           |
>   trunk_6    branch_2_3
>   trunk_7
>
> There are two branches, branch_1 and branch_2.  The other names are tags
> applied to committed builds of the test software.  If I 'cvs checkout -r
> branch_1 module' I can say 'cvs diff -r branch_2' and get a list of file
> diffs.  However if I want to compare a branch build with the latest trunk
> build I have to either 'cvs checkout -r branch_1 module' followed by 'cvs
> diff -r trunk_7' OR 'cvs checkout module' followed by 'cvs diff -r
> branch_2'.  Doing a 'cvs checkout -r branch_1 module' followed by 'cvs diff
> -r HEAD' does not produce the same results.  Should 'cvs diff' compare by
> default with the latest trunk release? It doesn't.

This is the correct behavior.  -r HEAD refers to the HEAD of the
currently checked out branch.  Read up on 'sticky tags'.

> If you check out a
> branch then do a update -j however is does correctly update the files that
> I know have changed.

Yep.

> Is there a way to checkout a branch build, and then
> diff it with the 'latest' trunk build without having to know the tag of the
> latest trunk release?

Not that I know of.  Perhaps others have a better idea -- but you should
ask this question on a cvs mailing list; it's not a cygwin bug.

--Chuck